Happy 2018! Everyone is back at work, school is back in session, and it’s looking like 2018 is going to be an exciting year in the tech world. But before we dive completely into the new year we wanted to […]
Everyday life can be overwhelming sometimes, but what if you had your own personal assistant to help you keep up with your busy life?
Having a personal assistant can provide a long list of benefits that make life easier to manage, ranging from scheduling and providing directions, to pulling up your favorite music. As technology gets better and better, access to “virtual assistants” is getting easier, and they’re just about as useful as a real-life assistant. Here’s where Cortana comes in. Microsoft developed their own version of the virtual assistant, Cortana, for Windows 10 that can do everything mentioned above, and more.
Cortana can do a lot but here are some important things every Windows 10 user should know about their new virtual assistant:
- Cortana makes setting an alarm quicker and easier. All you have to do is say out loud “Set an alarm for 6am”, Cortana will then display your request on the screen to verify the information is correct and your alarm is set!
- For busy people keeping track of tasks, events, and errands can be overwhelming, and important things can be easily forgotten. Cortana can be a real asset when it comes to providing reminders based on people or locations. For example:
- If you’re making a grocery list and don’t want to forget anything, you can set a reminder with Cortana with the items needed and the location of the grocery store, and the next time you are there Cortana will send you a reminder with the list of needed items.
- Say you need to talk to John at work about something specific and don’t want to forget the next time you talk to him, simply say “Cortana, next time I call John, remind me to ask him about the meeting next week.” The next time you are on the phone with John, Cortana will display that reminder on the screen.
- Face it, you’re not going to know everywhere you’re going all the time, so when you do need directions all you have to do is ask Cortana “How do I get to (destination).” Cortana will paste your request into Maps and display the directions instantly. She can also provide you with information like time to destination, or which public transportation route will be the best.
Power Up your PC Remotely
- By using the app VoiceWake on your phone in conjunction with Cortana you can have your virtual assistant power up your PC when you’re nowhere near the office or home.
Cortana can do all of these things and much more. If you have a busy schedule or would take advantage of these benefits, make sure to check it out!